Happy New Year and Hope Everyone has a great time celebrating Christmas and New Year in the past week.
Today I want to start off with a to do list of what you can do to make this year even more successful:
Build Momentum for the New Year
1. Start off being grateful for all the positive things that have happened in 2012
2. List Your Goals: Career, Relationships, Personal Life, Interests: what goals do you have for each area in your life?
3. Get a Corkboard or Whiteboard and write down your goals
4. Create a Step by Step Action Plan for each goal you wrote down: do this on a separate board or write it down in a notebook
5. If you have a big goal such as earning $100,000 and you are currently earning $50,000 (an example), then you should breakdown how you would earn that additional $50,000: promotion, getting more clients, taking on additional projects, networking, and maybe having a side job or side business to supplement additional earnings.
6. Ensure you keep track of your results at least every month ( I would recommend every week for mini result)
7. After achieving every result, no matter how little, make sure you reward yourself for it. Rewarding yourself give you confidence and momentum to move forward with goal achievement.
As you know, New Year Resolutions tend to fail because we got all hyped up about new goals but then after a couple of weeks, the enthusiasm tapers off and we are back at square one.
I have experienced this myself many times in the past. My solution to this is to mini steps and reward myself every result along the way.
8. Use positive affirmations to ensure you maintain a positive attitude towards goal setting
9. Tell your trusted friends and relatives about your goals for the new year. Sometimes telling others give us more incentive to achieve the goals we set.
10. Refine and review your goals.
Goal setting is not fixed, it is very fluid process where as we progress along the year, new opportunities, new ideas and new situations impels us to review our goals and ensure they are aligned with what we want to achieve.
Remember that goals are not set in stone; allow flexibility in your schedule so doing review is important too.
11. Relax and enjoy: see the goal setting process as a journey so don’t get too focused on achieving, as long as you make progress, that is already a great achievement!!
Good luck :)!